Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Metphistopheles Previous Previous Next Next
Spooky Things - Blather. Rants. Repeat.
A Møøse once bit my sister ...
Spooky Things
Our neighbor Betty passed early on Wednesday, but we didn't find out about it until last night.  It may, however, have explained some unexplained incidents from the previous day and evening.

Eleanor and I both had very long days Tuesday. A good night of sleep would have been appreciated. Ah, but tell that to the cat:P  Michelle, the middle child and the evilest animal we've ever owned, has reacted to death previously in weird ways. After Tasha (our first dog) went to Rainbow Bridge a few years back, Michelle began a bizarre mothering ritual- notwithstanding her having been fixed.  She grabs cloth objects in her teeth- typically place settings and dish towels, but occasionally she'll grab something as big as a dress shirt- and hauls them from one end of the house to the other, caterwauling the whole time, like she's moving a litter of kittens from one spot to another.  We refer to them, Orphan Black-Helena style, as her "bebbies."  She'll typically do it in the night or after morning feeding, after we've shut her out of human company, but not exclusively.  Then, after Tazzer passed earlier this year, she just got mucho MEOWier in general. This stupid cat will not shut up. Especially, if you're on a phone call, or as soon as you plant your head on a pillow, there she is- in your face, meowing up a storm. Eventually she settles- for a few hours- but then it randomly picks up again.

Anyway- two nights ago, she was at her absolute worst. Eleanor could not get to sleep for love or money while this cat just harangued into the night. We now know this was just at the time that Betty was beginning her final passing, three or four miles away from us.  Believe it or don't, but I'm not going to rule it out.


Then there was the night after Betty died.

Eleanor usually chants at the downtown Buddhist Center on Wednesday nights. Depending on our work schedules, we'll either plan an early dinner before she goes, or, if there's too short a turnaround, we'll each fend for ourselves either in or out of the kitchen.  Wednesday night was the latter; she worked until 6 and needed to be downtown before 7.  I planned my own foodage for after the workout I did that night, and I came home and fed the animals beforehand while she was still at work. Our paths never crossed.

I got home first, around 7:30.  Our routine, since some unfortunate neighbor events of last year, has been to lock all of our doors into the garage, as well as the doors from the outside to the house proper, whenever we're out and when we turn in. Since we got the new bikes, we've especially made sure that the garage is secure, and that any cars left in the driveway are locked as well.  But Wednesday night, after unlocking the outer garage door, I found the inside door from garage to house to be locked- and bolted.  We rarely do THAT.  I figured Eleanor did it when she came home after work for who knows what reason.

Then she got home, and I asked her why.  She didn't do it.  I didn't.

Now at the time, we did not know of Betty's passing, but could she have been thinking of us in her first moments where her spirit was free, wanting us to be especially safe?

Don't ask me to answer that with a definitive no. And if you want someone else to, I have no idea whoyagonnacall;)
1 comment or Leave a comment
tilia_tomentosa From: tilia_tomentosa Date: September 9th, 2016 11:53 pm (UTC) (Link)
Wow, your life has become way too interesting...

I can only hope that cat calms down as much as realistically possible. *hugs for both of you*
1 comment or Leave a comment