Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Metphistopheles Previous Previous Next Next
Well. How about that? - Blather. Rants. Repeat.
A Møøse once bit my sister ...
Well. How about that?
I usually sleep through Bills games. Some games this year, it seems like the Bills joined me in the afternoon naps.  But today's, I actually watched for most of the final quarter and then the overtime. Yes, it ended tied in regulation- with Buffalo's two top-string quarterbacks and best receiver out with injuries, a worn-down defense who let their pitiful opponent get back in the game (and even take the lead before a penalty took an Indianapolis score off the scoreboard), and, oh, this:

That's what the game was played in, for virtually its entirety. It also ties today's sporting event in with the events of our own lives from the past several days in need of catching up here. So we'll leave Our Heroes in frozen animation briefly and report on things closer to (and the past two days, further from) home.


All of that snow is of the "lake effect" variety. Wind-driven clouds pick up not-yet-frozen Lake Erie water (it was in the 50s Farenheit as recently as last week) and drop that water as snow as soon as it hits landfall. None of these storms are region-wide; traditional "snow belts" are south of downtown Buffalo and where we live to its northeast, but a slight change in wind direction can change that in minutes. So it was that we awoke Thursday to tales of blizzard conditions, reaching as close to us as the Bills' home in Orchard Park, but here, not a flake. We went about relatively ordinary days, mine improved by getting out of an early-morning court appearance that saved time, promptly lost in a late-afternoon court visit.

Then it was our turn on Friday. I let the dog out around 3 to bare ground, but by the time I had to leave for Rochester by 7:30, the snow here had begun. It was nothing like what O.P. had gotten the day before (or would eventually get today), but it was just cold enough to stick and the ground just the right temperature for it to be incredibly slippery. And me, with my little car in need of new rear tires. For the first 10 miles, I slipped and slid and almost spun a dozen times, including a few on the 90 proper that could easily have been death (more from going too slowly than anything else), but before I got to the first exit outside the area, I'd escaped the trail of the wind, the road cleared, and the sun was out for all of that and also the next day.

Good thing, because Eleanor and I both went back to Rochester yesterday. A longtime friend of ours has an art studio in a cool old repurposed factory building, and they were open for Shop Small Saturday, so we got on the road and, with a much less panicked drive, were there in time to see her.

Some of her recent pieces.  I also explored some of the rest of the building (okay, I was looking for the loo;), and found this Not For Sale piece from one of the building's other artists:

We then met up with Emily; she hadn't seen Loving Vincent, and we wanted to make sure she got a chance before some big changes come her way.  Not all can be revealed, but it involves new work for Cameron, and it's all good.  I passed on seeing the film again myself, since Friday also brought a dumping of three bankruptcy petitions to finalize and the promise of at least a fourth being imminent. I brought the new laptop over to the office there and got one of them done just in time for them to finish the film, me to join them for a cup of Jamaican Me Crazy, and then head home on a snowless Saturday night.


This morning was busy and a little overlapped.  Eleanor woke me asking to borrow my car for a trip to the Buddhist Center, since she hadn't charged Ziggy last night. He had enough charge to get Ebony to the dog park and home, but I had to wait for JARVIS to make it back so I could just make a scheduled 10 a.m. workout (which, thankfully due to some changes in their systems have been starting late and I got there just in time).  By the time I got home from that and a Wegmans run, there were the beginnings of snow flurries here in the Northtowns.  On the other hand, Orchard Park, never quite dug out from Thursday, was getting another foot of snow piled on top of the Bills, the Colts and their fans.....

which is where we came in at the start of this entry.


The game was must-win for Buffalo if it wanted a prayer of ending a 17-year drought of post-season appearances. The opponent came in 3-9 and had nothing to play for but pride.  Now add the elements to that. I began napping with the game well under way and with no score, and awoke to the same thing. That's when I learned that the snow had never stopped and that they were continuing to play on in blizzard conditions.

Before I could even turn on a set, the Bills' rookie quarterback, who debuted with one of the worst performances ever by a signal caller, had somehow gotten a touchdown pass to his best receiver. Before long, both would be out with injuries.  I spent time trying to get my cranky old AM portable radio to work, without success, and by the time I gave up and put on CBS's sixth-string broadcast team, the sights were frightful and the chances of a Bills victory near impossible. Indy somehow slogged down the field, survived half a dozen close calls, and scored with a minute left to pull to within a point. On ordinary days, conservative NFL coaches would then kick an easy "point after" to tie the game, but there was the weather, there was an earlier miss by their kicker, and I think there was just a desire to get the damn thing over with. So the Colts' coach decided to "go for two"- a run-or-pass that would leave Indy with either a one-point lead with a minute to play or, essentially, a loss.  And they made it. The two points went on the board- but then, amazingly, came off. A late-called penalty nullified the score and pushed them back ten yards. So their kicker came in to attempt what was now a midrange field goal into the wind and beginning from a snow-covered field.  Ten behemoths did a dance around the spot of the ball, trying to clear the snow off. Both teams called timeouts- the Colts to clear the spot, the Bills to make it snow some more- and then their kicker, the oldest player on the field, made the kick, but for only the one point. Tie game.

Thanks to some Buffalo screwups and fatigue on the part of their defense, the guy got to kick again from almost the same spot with a chance to win the game. This one, he missed, so weeee were going to OVERRRtime (as they say in hockey, which this-all far more resembled).  The Bills won the toss, got across midfield with the ball, and then had the whole stadium and press box boo their coach for kicking the ball back to Indy with barely five minutes to play.  It proved a good move, though; Buffalo's now-a-little-rested defense held the Colts pinned down in their own end, they got the ball again, and the third-string Bills quarterback ran for a first down, threw to an unheralded receiver for another, and finally handed the frozen rock to Shady McCoy, their only offensive star still in the game, who eluded a linebacker and ended the thing with a 21-yard run to the end zone.

All of that ended in a 13-7 win, a 7-6 record, but with the Bills still on the outside looking in at a playoff spot (and none of their competition for that spot is helping in the rest of today's games so far:P). All the same, it was the kind of late-year game that almost always wen t bad for the Bills, and it was one for the ages to have seen end. Even Eleanor, who has no use for this sport, got a kick out of seeing one of the victorious Bills players making a snow angel in the end zone.


Tomorrow brings a third Rochester trip in four days; no major snow in the forecast in that direction, but I am planning on getting snow tires put on.

This entry was originally posted at https://captainsblog.dreamwidth.org/1508629.html. Please comment here, or there using OpenID.
Leave a comment